Monday, April 11, 2005

alcomahol

on my journey to provide you all with an interesting blog post, i have learned many wise...and many not-so-wise things from other people. so tonight, my topic of interest is buying drinks for friends at social gatherings. while i happened to score a drink from a guy friend of mine, he explained to me his theory. which now that i look back and think, is quite sexist and belies my independent nature...but hey...whatever gets me a free drink!

so my friend...well he's more of an acquaintance...but that's a whole different blog post...was explaining to me the etiquette of buying a drink for someone. his theory is that it is perfectly OK for a guy to buy a drink for a girl, but the opposite doesn't work. apparantly it's implying that a guy is effeminate and er...lacking in some areas...if he accepts a drink that a girl has bought him.

now while chics get the better end of the deal with this theory...i think it's total crap. because a number of my guy friends would not refuse a drink if i bought them one. the whole lot of them are too cheap to turn down a free drink anyway!!! so the question is now...who should fork out for the alcohol?

olga's thought for the day: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME SOON!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ez said...

I don't care, as long as I get something to drink.

Mon Apr 11, 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger quebeck said...

Definitely depends on the guy (and the girl).

I guess in the "olden days", it would have been standard practise to refuse a drink a girl bought you (I get the feeling this might not be true though), but in this day and age, to refuse a drink just because a girl bought it for you would definitely be construed as chauvinistic (and I'd agree).

I'd make the distinction between drinks ALREADY bought (which is what I gather from your post), as to a girl OFFERING to buy a drink for you. Personally, I'd accept a drink already bought (and return the favour asap), but would have a hard time drinking something I probably should have paid for. Heck if the guy has any clue, the girl would never be without a drink in the first place.

That's definitely just me though. A lot depends on the indivual person. But I would say, if a girl wants to buy you a drink, let her. You should never restrict her freedem. Unless she's just doing it out of curtesy, but then, why would you want to be friends with someone like that anyway?

Finally, you can learn a lot about someones nature by what they do/don't do on a date/night out. I'd put this drink buying thing down as one of those things.

Mon Apr 11, 10:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home