Thursday, April 27, 2006

yip yip

i was speaking to a friend of mine today about marriage and kids. yes, it sounds a bit scary, but this friend of mine has just celebrated her 6 year anniversary with her boyfriend. yep that's right, 6 years of relatively smooth sailing (i had to ask). the idea of that is probably even more scary. SO i guess that's how we ended up on the marriage talk.

which brings me to my thought for the night. sure, we're young/single/attached/whatever. but how do you ever know when you're ready for marriage? and what happens if you'll never be ready?

i like to think the idea of marriage and kids (with/without current significant other) hits you like a lightning bolt. some probably spend their entire lifetime waiting for that damn lightning bolt to make an appearance. or they get lots of lightning bolts. also not a good thing. and not only that, society and our friends actually ENCOURAGE the idea of marriage and kids. the white picket fence, husband, 2.5 kids and a dog. basically, the whole package.

is it so wrong to NOT want it all?

i guess i'll have to wait a few more years for my answer. the same friend finished off our talk with "i think i'll know by 10 years whether marriage is the go". i'll be lucky if i last 10 WEEKS with anyone let alone 10 years.

so who wants the package out there? and who, like me, is going to forego it (ok maybe i'll have a dog)?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind the package but I don't think I'd be able to handle it. Either that or I'll be stuck with a package (namely a rotten husband) and stick it through because I'm one of those crazy people who are loyal to a fault even though the people who are on the receiving end of such loyalty don't deserve one whit of it.

But if I was to choose, I would still go with my hermitess plan. It's just safer that way. I'd hate to know that I would be bending myself back and over like some spider high on some illicit drugs because of this supposedly all encompassing notion of everlasting love, eternity and beyond.

Even if it means a couple of decades of solitude for me, I would personally like to see all my friends married off with lots of children I can be godmama to.

Thu Apr 27, 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger jashman said...

yep, wife and kids would be fantastic. but it's still all good to not want a life like that.

get a flash car and a dog and all your problems will be solved :)

Fri Apr 28, 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger Ez said...

5+ years with someone and not married yet? Should you or anyone else be worried for them?

Or is it that they just like the defacto status? If so, fair enough. Remember, its not like you have to be married to have kids.

Fri Apr 28, 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger jashman said...

you can have kids without getting married, but would you hook up with someone who is single but has kids?

Fri Apr 28, 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger Ez said...

I mean just having kids while still in a relationship, but just not get married. The whole defacto thing.

Fri Apr 28, 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger jashman said...

yeh but if you break up, then you have kids hanging around

Fri Apr 28, 06:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd be wondering if I'd rather end it than go on with a relationship that's THAT long. 5 years *shudders* one year sounds long enough...

Fri Apr 28, 07:33:00 PM  
Blogger viking_mistresses said...

methinks i'm not the only commitment phobe around here jane!!

Fri Apr 28, 08:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Shows how much you know! I've always been a commitment phobe. Works well with my social misfit-ness.

Oh and someone should tell Louiswilliamswhatshisface that contrary to popular belief, you are all have either finished your degrees or are still at uni finishing off your degrees. The only spam I like is the type I can get in a can.

Sat Apr 29, 06:32:00 AM  
Blogger Ez said...

To jash:
You'd have the same problem if you got married and broke up with kids around.

Mon May 01, 03:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home